Friday, January 8, 2010

Jan 8: Sugar


I've always had a sweet tooth. I can remember as a kid taking a Kudos bar, putting it on a plate and covering it with Reddi-wip until the bar was no longer visible and then eating it. My parents were fairly watchful when it came to candy. I wasn't deprieved, but also not overly indulged. But somehow (I can only imagine it being after a long whiney tirade by me and my sister) my mother convinced herself that the Kudos bar was a granola bar. I let her believe that and then secretly mutated it even further away from mom's reality when she wasn't looking. 


As I've gotten older, my sweet tooth has refined a bit. A very little bit. If I'm buying, I'll choose dark over milk chocolate. I might not finish a pack of gummi bears if they are stale. I prefer to have an actual dessert to handfuls of high fructose corn syrup. And, I've discovered that unless I'm really in the mood, ice cream falls pretty low on my confectionery priority list. It's the toppings I can't resist. 


My favorite is those fro-yo bars where you pay by weight so you get to create your own topping wonderland. But I've stood at countless conventional ice cream stands and directed, "I'll pay you for the full scoop, but can I have half of one instead and you fill in the rest with extra rainbow sprinkles." Ice cream is really just the glue that holds toppings onto the spoon, as far as I'm concerned. 


And it seems Ben & Jerry's is starting to catch on - at the one near work, they have prepackaged little cups of just toppings to purchase separately. Tonight, we stopped by one that hasn't yet been hit by the toppings-only craze. So I did the next best thing - ordered the cone sans the cream and ate it plain. It's like one big topping. One big yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment