Today, a lovely surprise showed up: a package from my Uncle Kip, Aunt Pat and cousins John and Katherine. It came from Williams Sonoma - one of my favorite stores to browse. Since it was addressed to both me & Stephen, I didn't want to open it up without him there. So the two boxes sat on the desk for the second half of the day. And I have to say - it was kind of a gift in and of itself.
The wrapping that these boxes came in is exquisite. The paper is sturdy yet silky and soft to the touch. The ribbon is fabric and generous. And the miniature baking pan with the pineapple - echoing the pattern on the paper - is not only adorable, but actually functional. I enjoyed looking at the boxes so much that I almost forget that they hold even greater treasures inside.
Packaging is a vital part of a marketing mix and a subtle-but-strong component of brand building. When you are selling a product, it is pretty obvious that you must figure out the container in which to deliver it. But when selling a service - or, even yourself (no, not like prostitution... like in a job interview or in dating) - "packaging" can be harder to put your finger on, and usually it's not standard. Although nobody wants to be judged solely on looks (not even models), it's an important part of the quick research and clues that the observer draws upon to start to categorize, judge, and make decisons on.
There is a sweet spot in packaging. Not overdoing it so the consumer feels like too much of their dollar is going to the delivery vehicle and not to the product itself. Not underwhelming the observer so you blend in or get overlooked. It's the same with personal appearance - when I show up to a client meeting I want to be ever so slightly better (or conservatively) dressed than they are, but I don't want to blow it out of the water, or they could perceive a lack of understanding and compatibility on my part.
The point is, looks DO matter, and there is nothing really wrong with that. We're bombarded with too much information every day to not take shortcuts like starting to form an opinion based on first impressions. The key is to remain open minded to having your opinion changed as time goes on and you have more data points to draw from.
So, with that in mind, I joined weight watchers today. I've never before joined any thing like this and I'm not usually one to obsess over my weight or appearance. (I don't even wear makeup on most days). But two of my friends have had great luck with these programs (one with WW, one with Jenny Craig), and I was finding it hard to self-motivate towards being bathing-suit ready by the time our Vieques trip comes in March. (I did make it to the gym both yesterday and today, though!)
I had to declare a goal weight (I chose 13lbs from where I am now - my wedding weight) but really it has to do with how I look and not a number. I want my current main pair of jeans to be baggy. Because once my clothes no longer fit properly, I can go out and purchase a whole wardrobe of new "Ellen-packaging".
Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment