Monday, January 11, 2010

Jan 11: Shirking


This is my gym bag. Being ignored in my back seat. I didn't make any new years resolutions this year, except maybe a hope to travel a little less and enjoy being home a bit more (especially once we are in our own home). I never make new years resolutions - I understand that milestones/anniversaries are times for reflection, but I'm not quite into the socially sanctioned opportunity to inflict guilt upon myself. 

Instead, I opt for personally developed guilt. 

Sometimes I think I'm more susceptible to inertia than anyone else. When I get into a pattern of going to the gym, I'm faithful to it. This summer, I went 4-5 times a week. When I was living in manhattan I was at about the same pace. But once something happens to disrupt my pattern, I end up on the wrong end of inertia - the "object at rest stays at rest" end. And I've just had a whole lot of disruption -  getting married, traveling 6 out of 8 weekends, and moving. So I really have to work on getting myself back to being an "object in motion." 

We joined a very swanky health & tennis club - which is motivation in itself. I've never been to a gym where I've actually felt comfortable showering before. Except for the overflow of (highpitched) chatty teenagers in the 4-6pm range, it's pretty awesome. But even with the best of intentions, I just couldn't bring myself to go today. I went 4 times last week - but I was cold, tired and hungry tonight. So I gave myself a pass and just came straight home for dinner. Except now I feel guilty. So I'm promising to go before going to the office tomorrow. I do much better going in the morning, anyway. Less time for the brain to wake up and make excuses. Right? right. we'll see. first thing tomorow...

No comments:

Post a Comment