We spent most of the day in Manhattan. We had a meeting with our financial advisor (who really has been a friend of my Dad's since they were young adults) and then we had a work-related meeting regarding possible sponsorship of the Nantucket Film Festival.
Like two true adult suburbanites, we took a car to the train station in Katonah and bought our tickets roundtrip to Grand Central. Except unlike the average commuters, we didn't zone out the whole way. Especially for me, I was hyper aware and soaking in all of the familiar sights that I used to see when I was a teenager taking the train in to buy more purple hair dye, try on another pair of clunk shoes or see a band play. Even when we first arrived at the platform, it was a trip down memory lane for me - as our former neighbor Patricia was waiting for the train to go into her job.
Patricia and her husband John and their then-infant John Patrick moved in across the street on our 5-house shared-driveway when I was about 8. Without other kids around to play with, and adoring babies, my sister and I quickly made ourselves regulars at their house. We were there when they brought home their second son, Christopher, from the hospital. And I can still remember their phone number by heart for when I would call and ask permission to come over and play with the boys. Only with an adult mind now do I realize this must have been a relief for Patricia to have someone to distract the boys so she could her own stuff done, but I remember being nervous calling the first few times - anticipating potential rejection. I also remember them having a few really fun sun & bbq parties. Their friends quickly learned that we were excellent beer-fetchers and that was when I learned the difference between regular and light beer. The light beer made the men wince when I delivered it, but they were always polite and said thank you anyway.
I had been holding off on reaching out to Patricia, even though our families have stayed in loose touch. Especially my sister who always had a special bond with Patricia as they were both artists and have similar aesthetic tastes. The last time I saw her, though, was Andrea's wedding - which was in 2003. But it was easy to recognize her - she hasn't changed a bit. (Seriously, I'm going to have to find out her anti-aging secret!) I had wanted to wait until we were no longer in limbo, but actually in our new house - so I could invite people over and be a proper hostess.
It was great to catch up in the 10 minutes before the train arrived, and then we went our separate ways to fight for seats. I worked on the train, and Stephen finished an email and then read the rest of the way. And when we arrived in Grand Central, it was so familiar and welcoming, it set me off in such a good mood.
On our way back, we ate in the (new since high school) dining area of Grand Central. Yummy soup, plenty of chairs. I can remember what a shell the whole terminal used to be - and now it is a destination in and of itself. I wish I had remembered to take pictures of it. But all I have is this tried-and-true New York souvenir to mark the day: a delicious black & white cookie from Juniors. Should really be called "black & white cake". Yum!

No comments:
Post a Comment