Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jan 26: Motivation

 
As I noted earlier, I have been focused on eating well and exercising regularly. The eating well comes easily to me. As does going to the gym 3-4 times a week. What doesn't come easily is really pushing myself at the gym and leaving my comfort zone. Over the years, I've had various experiences with personal trainers and I kind of combine their advice to put together a routine for myself. But the new gym kind of intimidates me because it's fancy and I don't really know where everything is and it seems like everyone already knows each other. Since we've been up here, I just kind of make a path from the locker room to the fitness area - doing cardio or the weight machines - and then I go right back to the locker room.

So when I got an email about a new member program called "Mission Possible" I was kind of intrigued. It's a self guided, 6-week program where we get 4-part missions emailed to us on Sunday. We have a week to complete the mission, plus do 3 other activities called challenges (generally group exercise classes of some type). 

Today was the kick off meeting. There are 11 of us in the program, and most are at least 20 years older than me. Since this was our only meeting together, it seems like I won't be making many friends this way -- but it was nice to meet some of the fitness staff. I also wanted to join for the inspiration to vary the routine, and already I feel the uneasiness of being pushed outside the comfort zone - and after the first few deep breaths, I'm excited. 

We have to wear these orange shirts so folks recognize us - they claim it is for the fitness staff to know to seek us out to offer help, but I know it's more to advertise their program. Either way, I can't wait to get my scissors on these heavy cotton shirts to make them bearable.   

Mission 1 = 30 minute workout on the Technogym Kinesis machines. Will tackle it tomorrow. I accept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment