Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jan 29: Memories

 
  
Tonight, I hung out with another client-turned-friend in the city. Aimee lives in Minneapolis, so when I made the cut to hang out during her short weekend in Manhattan, I jumped at the chance to see her. Aimee is one of the hardest working, most diplomatic, thoughtful, sharp, and passionate marketers I know. And she applies the same rigor to life outside of the office as well - traveling the world, pushing herself fitness wise (when I first met her, she was training for a marathon), and keeping the rigor and fun going at home with her daughter, partner Rod, and his kids. After I hang out with Aimee, I always feel a rush of energy and motivation in my own life - she's such an inspiration. 

It was so fun to catch up on everything that has happened in each other's lives since I left Delve at the beginning of the summer. For both of us, there have been a lot of changes and it was good to finally be able to connect about it all. We also had fun reliving some of the fun we've had in the past. She is associated with many good memories. 

To top it off, we hung out in Chelsea - right where I used to live. I haven't been back to hang out in a while, and on my way back to my car to go home, I paused on the corner of the block where I used to live. The first picture here is of my gym, with the Empire State Building in the background - the building that was my view out my living room for years. The second shot is down my street - the Metlife building in the distance, and the Chelsea Hotel sign visible half way down the block. I remember moving into my building and being just astonished that my apartment building shared a wall with the infamous home to so many artists, musicians, writers and rebel philosophers that I grew up idolizing. I thought it was the ultimate in cool to be living not just in Chelsea, but on that particular block.  Although no one may ever read the details of the 4 years I spent there, as they do for those chronicled in Please Kill Me, it was definitely a formative time for me. One I look back on with deep happiness.

What a fun night - not just reliving the past, but gaining energy and appreciation for the momentum of where my life has gone since.  

No comments:

Post a Comment