Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feb 16: Laundry. Again.

 
We are rapidly running out of funds for house renovations. We have the bare essentials in furniture and have put any additional projects on hold until the summer season kicks in at work and the cash flow picks up again. One of those projects is fixing up the laundry room portion of the garage/basement. We pulled down the old rotting wall, opening up what used to be the furnace room into one big room with the garage. I want to put a new wall up, put a nicer floor in, and make it a laundry/storage/muck room. But it has to wait. Low priority over having a place to sit and eat on the first floor. 

The laundry machines are purchased, but we need to put a new drain in the floor, since we are moving their location to the opposite side from where they used to be. 
Good thing I like laundromats. I actually used to hang out at one with my friend Dani in high school. We'd talk and read magazines and generally enjoy our public privacy away from our parents. I like that you can save up and do 8 loads at once if you want to. But it's been a while since I've gone to an official one. I would go in Portland just because the laundry room in my building was too small for the capacity of residents - your stuff would be left wet on top of a washer if you weren't back exactly on time - and the back up at the dryers was infuriating. In Boston, I had pretty good machines in my building - but I also had my parents an hour away. In manhattan - my building not only had great laundry facilities, but had a coin machine that would take $20 bills. 

I've been to this laundromat in Mount Kisco 3 times so far. Usually I'm the only white person and until tonight, I was always the only female. But I really like it - clean, good machines, a place to sit while you are waiting to transfer from washer to dryer. Plus, they have 4 different sizes of washers - pictured here are the two smallest ones. It goes up to one the size of a small car! The laundry seems to never end - and when you have two (lovely) house guests staying each in their own room, it adds up quickly. 
But I don't mind so much. The smell of the Bounce and the warmth of the towels fresh out of the dryer make it all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment