Monday, May 24, 2010

May 9: Kykuit

Today we went to the opening weekend of Kykuit, the Rockefeller historic house in Tarrytown. While the house and grounds are certainly magnificent and tell a wonderful tale of many generations, it is the art collection that leaves you speechless. I'm going to break the one-photo rule for a sampling of things we saw. 
Gorgeous, uninterrupted view of the Hudson, even though the town of Tarrytown is technically right in front of us. 
 We bought our tickets in advance and unfortunately the day turned out to be one of the coldest in a while. I didn't dress properly, so made do with what I had. 
 The entire downstairs/basement is a gallery with works by world renowned artists. They believed in really taking in art and living around it - so the space was also used as a lounge where folks would enjoy their coffee and a book. 
 I didn't realize you weren't supposed to take photos, so these are illicit pics. A huge fan of Picasso, Rockefeller had a dozen or so works turned into tapestries. There is an entire corridor lined with them - they are immense, colorful and unique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment